Monday, December 30, 2013

The price of eggs just went up again

If you've followed my blog since the beginning, you'll remember that I had a rough first year.  I read about all the things chickens can get and thought, I had chickens growing up and never once had to deal with ANY of those things.

But, my first year with chickens, I had to deal with nearly all of them.  I had bullies.  A hen turned out to be a rooster.  There was sour crop and a strange respiratory condition that took down two hens.  There was broodiness that was contagious.  Bumble foot, scaly leg mites and that day I came home to find Lulu missing her entire toe nail.  And let's not forget the fatty liver disease, just to name a few.

And as awful as those all were, I was very thankful that I hadn't had to deal with an impacted crop or egg binding.  Well, add impacted crop to my list above.

Honey is going through her first molt and she was clearly not happy about it.  Molting can be really uncomfortable.  So I was trying to give her some special attention and hand feed her some extra protein each day.  When she stopped eating, I knew I had a problem.  The silly girl was eating leaves instead of her feed.

I took her to the vet who tried first to flush out her crop.  But it didn't clear out the blockage.  So today, Honey had surgery to remove the blockage in her crop.  So Honey is going to be a house chicken for a few days until she's feeling back to her old self.  And so I can CLOSELY monitor what she puts in that beak of hers.

What's really troubling is the vet says that she frequently sees these cases as the first sign of Marek's Disease.  Honey was vaccinated.  But I've read that sometimes it doesn't take.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.  I REALLY want her to raise another batch of babies for me this spring.  Honey was the BEST mama hen last year raising those three Andalusians for me.

Please say a prayer for her that she makes a speedy recovery and that she does NOT have Marek's.

Honey's new home away from home until she's feeling better.

5 comments:

  1. Get well soon Honey. I hope this is just a crop problem and she will soon be fully recovered. I have read of others worrying about Mareck's and it turned out not to be, so stay positive. I am sending hugs to you both and best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for Honey X
    My first experience of Marek's, showed itself in the form of a drooping wing, her left one and then her left foot would stick out when she sat down. I hope Honey doesn't have it xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is well in your place during 2014. No major chickie issues - only fun times and lovin' their antics. My thoughts are with you and Honey. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless her heart... I've been following you for awhile and I know at one point you wanted to give up on chickens all together... Just know that through your blog, people are learning how to take better care of their own chickens... I hope 2014 is better for you in the chicken world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your lovely comments. You are really what keep me going. Honey is doing GREAT this morning. She's clearly sick and tired of her cage. I took her outside several times yesterday but follow her closely so she didn't eat anything solid. I think today, she might be able to handle a few bites so as soon as the weather warms up just a tad more, we'll go outside and see how she does.

    ReplyDelete