Thursday, December 1, 2011

I'm a bad Chicken Mama

So I quarantined Coco yesterday from Ginger because she was bullying Ginger.  I'm not sure who suffered more, Coco, Ginger or me.  Coco gave me a tong lashing that was pretty brutal.  Ginger just stood there like, I don't want to be alone and I don't understand why I'm all alone.  And me, I was a nervous mother hen wreck.

I took Coco to the vet this afternoon because I didn't have the stomach to put a pinless peeper on her myself.  Turns out, the vet had never done it before either.  ACK.  It took him four tries before it didn't just come flying off.  And at that point, she had had enough.  He set her down and she closed her eyes, went limp and just rolled to one side.  I thought she was dead.  I was horrified.

I scooped her up in my arms and she clearly wasn't dead.  But she wasn't happy either.  I had all I could do not to just take the peeper off of her.  But I resisted.  I brought her home and put her out back w/ Ginger and she really came around.  The two ran around and scratched and pecked together.  But not at each other.

I even dumped a pile of meal worms on the patio for them to share and there was no fighting.  Clearly, the peepers slow Coco down and affect her ability to see what's right in front of her.  But I watched her closely and she can eat and drink and get up onto the roosting bar just fine.

So I'm going to leave it on for a period of time to get her to calm down and leave Ginger alone.  I'm not sure how long that will be.  Only time will tell.



3 comments:

  1. My australorpe is the feistiest of all my hens... she's definitely the boss, but she doesn't attack other hens. Let me know how this peeper continues to work! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, So far so good. I think this might just do the trick. And my local Feed and Fuel has BO chicks. I'm going to go buy some tomorrow and start brooding. I thought I'd have to wait till March to get more chicks and I'm so excited that I can start this now. Hopefully, adding chicks will help mellow out my situation and those peepers can come off sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are NOT a bad chicken Mama. You are the best. You are keeping the girls from hurting each other in a very humane way. Peepers are nothing more then an irritant, but they WORK.

    ~~Matt~~

    ReplyDelete