Saturday, December 10, 2011

December Updates

Well, I have good news and bad news.

Let's get the bad news over with.  I lost one of the chicks.  I'm not really sure what happened.  But looking back at photos of them when I first brought them home, one was holding her wings out and low.  And the others are so healthy, happy and strong, that I really don't believe it was anything I did wrong.  I just think she wasn't meant to be with us more than those few, precious days.

So the three now officially have names, Honey, Sugar and Spice.  And my, they are growing up quickly.  They are ready for some dowels to perch on and things to jump off of in that ever shrinking brooder of theirs.

Honey, Sugar and Spice.  I have no idea how I'm ever going to tell these ladies apart.
Hopefully, they will grow up with unique personalities or distinct combs.

I just love how everything is a group sport at this age.  They eat, drink and nap together.
The peeper has worked in that Coco is no longer pecking at Ginger.  But it also has stressed her and she's beginning to molt.  It is possible that she was destined to molt and the peeper had nothing to do with it.  But I have my suspicions.  So I removed the peeper today.

Her personality has definitely changed.  She no longer goes after Ginger.  But Ginger did insist on drinking water from the exact spot that Coco was drinking.  Coco gave her two fair warning Bok Bok's but when Ginger came back the third time, she got pecked.  But she didn't go cower in the corner.  She just moved over.  It's like she knew she was asking for that.  So maybe those 9 days with the peeper worked.  Only time will tell.

I also had a long chat with a fellow back yard chicken raiser, who pointed out that the big handful of seeds I'm tossing out to them daily is much to much.  It's so important that the majority of their diet comes from their feed which is balanced nutrition for their high protein, high calcium dietary needs.

If you follow my blog, you'll know I've blogged before about over treating.  It's so easy to do.  They are just so cute and curious and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it when you come bearing things to eat.  And it was always around treats that caused the pecking and fighting.  So really, this may just be a blessing all the way around.

And honestly, those huge bags of black oiled sunflower seeds are quite pricey.  So I'll be very happy not to have to lug home those expensive extras.  The two hens may be mad at me for a bit.  But hopefully, they will get over it.  And maybe they'll decided that a nice hug and some love from their Flock Mistress is just as nice as a handful of seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment