Friday, April 1, 2011

What's your favorite food?

Experts say that chickens don't have a very good sense of taste.  But I'm not so sure.  They certainly have razor sharp eye sight.  And they must have a good memory because they recognize things quite well.  Both as far as foods they like and dislike as well as anything new or different in their world.

Coco LOVES fruit; bananas, strawberries, apples and even grass.  I guess she's my vegetarian.  She'll eat anything I bring out for a treat.  But if she sees I have a strawberry or piece of banana tucked in my hand, she can spot it from across the run and will come running.  I've even seen her smash into Ginger and Pumpkin to get to me first if she sees fruit.

Ginger is my seed eater and bugger.  I guess that makes her my Atkins Diet girl.  I made oatmeal for breakfast the other day and saved a few bites for the girls.  Ginger delicately picked off all the flax seeds from my fingers.  And she's the first to peek into any and all containers I bring with out me to see if there's a spider hiding at the bottom.

And Pumpkin is my carbohydrate lover.  Oatmeal, rice, bits of bread, etc.  She even likes eating the pine shaving from their house.  Not sure if that qualifies as a carbohydrate or fiber.  But it's certainly not fruit or protein.

Now don't get me wrong, they'll all eat anything and everything I bring out.  But they have very clear favorites and I know when I go out with a treat, who's gonna get to me first based on what I have that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment