Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Beginning

Those of you who know me, know that I grew up with a pet chicken.

My father brought home several baby chicks one Easter, like so many parents do that time of the year.  But, rather than "disposing" of them when they grew up, he took the complete opposite approach.  He built a hen house and a run to protect them from predators.  He bought feeders and waters and hay to line their nests.

We eventually adopted a goose and had a yard full of fowl.  And a fridge full of fresh eggs.

Earlier this year, I volunteered at a local organic farm and held one of their hens.  She was soft and warm and after watching all the other girls quietly huddled in nesting boxes waiting to lay an egg, I simply had to have hens of my own.

So after some research, I ordered a hen house, had a run built and on October 30th, brought home 4 baby chicks.  We decided to call them The Spice Girls; Coco, Poppy, Ginger and Pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment